In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mynyddislwyn like this:
MYNYDDYSLWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newport district, Monmouth. The village stands 1½ mile E of the river Sirhowy, 2½ E by S of Tredegar-Junction r. station, and 9½ N W of Newport. The parish comprises the hamlets of Clawrplwyf, Mynydd-maen, and Penmaen; and contains the town of Abercarn, which has a post-office under Newport, Monmouth. ...
Acres, 15, 938. Real property, £29, 971; of which £12, 970 are in mines, £60 in quarries, £220 in iron-works, and £3, 446 in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 5, 994; in 1861, 6, 877. Houses, 1, 393. The property is sub-divided. The surface is hilly and boldly undulating; and descends to the rivers Sirhowy and Ebbw. Chemical works, iron and tin-plate works, and extensive collieries are at or near Abercarn. A large tumulus, supposed to have been a beacon or signal station, is near thechurch. The parish is a meet for the Tyisha harriers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £160.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is large and good; and has a tower, rebuilt in 1821. The p. curacy of Penmaen is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics. Ruins ofan ancient chapel of ease are in the vicinity of Abercarn.The sub-district contains also Machen parish, and twohamlets of Bedwas. Acres, 25, 311. Pop., 10, 596. Houses, 2, 147.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mynyddislwyn, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mynyddislwyn ".