In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nailstone like this:
NAILSTONE, a village and a township in Market-Bosworth district, and a parish partly also in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester. The village stands on abranch of the river Anker, 3 miles N N E of Market-Bosworth, and 3 W S W of Bagworth r. station; and has a post-office under Hinckley. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £4,051. Pop., 302. Houses, 71. The parish contains also the township of Barton-in-the-Beans, and the chapelry of Normanton-le-Heath. ...
Acres, 3, 806. Real property, £8, 443. Pop., 639. Houses, 146. The manor of Nailstone and Barton belongs to Earl Howe; and that of Normanton belongs to L rd Belper. Coalwas recently discovered in Nailstone township; and shafts for working it were formed in 1864. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, the Crown. The church was recentlyrestored, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Normanton is a separate benefice. There are a Baptistchapel in Barton, a Wesleyan chapel in Normanton, and national schools in Nailstone and Normanton.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Nailstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North West Leicestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Nailstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nailstone in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Nailstone".