Place:


Ruardean  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ruardean like this:

RUARDEAN, a parish, with a village, in the district of Ross and county of Gloucester; 4½ miles W by S of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 6 N W of Newnham. It has a post-office under Ross. Acres, 1, 590. Real property, £4, 658; of which £200 are in mines, £47 in quarries, and £220 in iron-works. ...


Pop., 1,054. Houses, 242. The manor belongs to Col. J. Vaughan. There are ruins of an ancient castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patrons, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church is partly Norman, and has a tower and spire. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £14.

Ruardean through time

Ruardean is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ruardean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ruardean, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11150

Date accessed: 24th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ruardean ".