In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Pembroke like this:
Pembroke, parl. and mun. bor., market town, and co. town of Pembrokeshire, on navigable creek of Milford Haven, 9½ miles W. of Tenby and 2½3 miles from London by rail - parl. bor., 6298 ac., pop. 16,339; mun. bor., 5626 ac., pop. 14,156; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. The founding of the town is supposed to have been contemporaneous with the founding of the castle, with which is associated all the history of the district. Pembroke Castle is said to have been the birthplace of Henry VII. ...
It resisted for a long time the assaults of Cromwell's forces. The ruins show walls of 14 ft. in thickness. The town has now but little trade beyond that connected with the Government Dockyard, which occupies 80 ac. of ground, and is strongly fortified. The inhabitants of the locality are chiefly tradespeople and dockyard workers. The Pembroke District of Parliamentary Boroughs until 1885 comprised Pembroke, Milford, Tenby, and Wiston; since 1885 it also comprises Haverfordwest, Fishguard, and Narberth; it returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pembroke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Pembrokeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pembroke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pembroke in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pembroke".