In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allerton Bywater like this:
ALLERTON-BYWATER, a chapelry in Kippax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Aire navigation, 5 miles NNW of Pontefract. Acres, 870. Real property, £5,271,-of which £3,000 are in mines. Pop., 704. The living is a vicarage. The church was built in 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Allerton Bywater has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Allerton Bywater and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allerton Bywater, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Allerton Bywater".