In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Mold like this:
Mold.-- parl. bor., par., township, and market town, Flintshire, in fertile valley on river Alyn, 6 miles S. of Flint by road, and 13¼ miles W. of Chester and 192 NW. of London by rail - par., 18,772 ac., pop. 15,363; township, 12,838 ac., pop. 13,029; parl. bor., 864 ac., pop. 5055; town, 651 ac., pop. 4320; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Mold is situated in a district of great mineral wealth, and in the neighbourhood are extensive collieries, lead mines, limestone quarries, mineral oilworks, and potteries. There are also in the neighbourhood many British, Roman, and other antiquities. The county assizes and quarter sessions are held at Mold. Mold is one of the Flint District of Parliamentary Boroughs, which returns 1 member.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mold has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Flintshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mold and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mold in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mold".