In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prestatyn like this:
PRESTATYN, a township, a chapelry, and a hundred, in Flint. The township is in Meliden parish; lies on the coast, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, 4¼ miles N E of Rhuddlan; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Rhyl. Real property, £2, 123. Acastle was built here before the time of Henry II.; belonged to successively the Banasters, the Crevecœurs, the Conways, and others; and has left some remains. The chapelry includes also part of Llanasa parish, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 700. Houses, 180. Pop. of the Meliden portion, 660. Houses, 170. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £233. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The hundred contains five parishes, and part of another. Acres, 20, 704. Pop., 5, 872. Houses, 1, 348.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Prestatyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Denbighshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Prestatyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestatyn, in Denbighshire and Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Prestatyn".