In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adel like this:
ADDLE, or Adel, a township and a parish in Otley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near Horsforth r. station, and 6 miles NNW of Leeds; and it is joined to Eccup, forming Addle-cum-Eccup. Acres, 4,576. Real property, £6,160. Pop., 801. Houses, 145. The parish contains also the township of Arthington. Post Town, Horsforth under Leeds. Acres, 6,356. Real property, £9,900. Pop., 1,145. Houses, 208. The Leeds waterworks are within Addle township. Remains of the Roman town Burgodunum and other antiquities, are on Rumbold's moor, 1,808 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £623.* Patron, John Murray, Esq. The church is a very fine Norman edifice, of date prior to 1100. The vicarage of Arthington is separate. Charities, £84.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Adel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Leeds. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Adel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adel, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Adel".