In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Acklam like this:
ACKLAM (West), a parish in the district of Stock ton, and N. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles S of Newport r. station, and 4 ESE of Stockton. Post Town, Stainton under Stockton. Acres, 1,476. Real property, £1,029. Pop., 108. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. Acklam Hall is the seat of T. Hustler, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £77.* Patron, Y. Hustler, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Acklam has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Middlesbrough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Acklam and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Acklam, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Acklam".