In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Wyresdale like this:
WYERSDALE (Over), a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 4¾ miles E by N of Bay-Horse r. station, and 7 SE of Lancaster. Post town, Lancaster. Acres, 16,938. Real property, £4,728. Pop. in 1851, 680; in 1861, 524. Houses, 90. The decrease of pop. arose from the destruction, by fire, of a cotton factory. The manor belongs to H. Garnett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster-The church is plain. There are Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Over Wyresdale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lancaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Over Wyresdale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Wyresdale, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Over Wyresdale".