In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolston like this:
WOOLSTON-WITH-MARTINSCROFT, a township in Warrington parish, Lancashire; 2 ½ miles E by N of Warrington. Acres, 1,444. Real property, £2,950. Pop., 496. Houses, 97. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woolston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Warrington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woolston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolston, in Warrington and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woolston".