In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oldbury upon Severn like this:
OLDBURY-UPON-SEVERN, a tything and a chapelry in Thornbury parish, Gloucester. The tythinglies on the Severn, 2 miles W N W of Thornbury, and 5¾ N N E of New Passage r. station; contains Shepherdine, Churmead, Rook-Farm, and West End; and has a post-office under Bristol. Real property, £7,080; of which £59 are in fisheries. Pop., 707. Houses, 143. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Shepherdine House is the residence of A. Buchan, Esq. There are two Roman camps. ...
The chapelry is more extensive than the tything. Pop., about 1,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £239. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is an old stone building; has been partially repaired; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oldbury upon Severn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Gloucestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oldbury upon Severn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oldbury upon Severn in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oldbury upon Severn".