In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhouses like this:
WOODHOUSES, a village in Ashton-under-Lyne parish, Lancashire; 1 mile SE of Oldham. Pop., 685.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodhouses has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oldham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodhouses and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhouses, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodhouses".