In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oddington like this:
ODDINGTON, two villages and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The villages stand ¾ of a mile S W of the river Evenlode, near the boundary with Oxford, 1½ mile S W of Addlestrop r. station, and 2½ E of Stow-on-the-Wold; bear the names of Upper and Lower O.; and have a post-office under Chipping-Norton. The parish comprises 1, 660 acres. Real property, £3, 468. Pop., 588. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Oddington House, belongs to Sir JohnReade, Bart. ...
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £344.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. The old church stands about ½ a mile from the villages, in a finely wooded vale; is partly Norman, with interesting features; and has ceased to be used. The new church stands near the centre of the villages; was built in 1854; is in the pointed style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel; and has several handsome painted windows. There are a national school, and charities £4. Chamber-layne, the author of " Angliæ Notitia, " was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Cotswold. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oddington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oddington".