Place:


Norton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Gloucester. The village stands 1¾ mile E S E of the river Severn, and 4½ N N E of Gloucester r. station; was formerly called Nortune; and has a postal letter-box under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,870 acres. Real property, £3, 577. ...


Pop., 458. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. The E manor belongs to N. Dyer, Esq. Norton House is the seat of T. Mayling, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £51.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £6.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11036

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".