In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiston like this:
WHISTON, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 1 mile S of Prescot. It has a post-office under Prescot; and it contains Prescot workhouse. Acres, 1,793. Real property, £10,867; of which £4,381 are in mines, and £135 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,825; in 1861, 1,727,-of whom 155 were in the workhouse. Houses, 318. A church was built here in 1865, at a cost of about £6,000; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire, 150 feet high. There are also a Methodist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whiston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Knowsley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whiston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiston, in Knowsley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whiston".