In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheelton like this:
WHEELTON, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; 3 miles NE of Chorley. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £4,309; of which £176 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,041; in 1861, 1,360. Houses, 233. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton-mills-Brinscall Hall is the seat of W.Wood, Esq. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wheelton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chorley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wheelton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheelton, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wheelton".