In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warton like this:
WARTON, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Ribble's estuary, 3 miles SW of Kirkham r. station; contains a scattered village of its own name; and has a postal wall-box, under Preston. Acres, 3,939; of which 2,405 are water. Real property, £2,960. Pop., 446. Houses, 91. The chapelry includes also Freckleton township, and comprises 6,598 acres. Pop., 1,325. Houses, 279. The property is much subdivided. Cotton spinning and the manufacture of sacking, sail-cloth, and cordage, are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. There are two churches, both good. There are also two Methodist chapels and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Warton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fylde. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Warton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warton, in Fylde and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Warton".