In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penboyr like this:
PENBOYR, a parish in Newcastle-in-Emlyn district, and county of Carmarthen; near the Sarn-Helen way, 4 miles S W of Llandyssil r. station, and 4 S E of Newcastle-in-Emlyn. Post-town, Newcastle-in-Emlyn, under Carmarthen. Acres, 6, 876. Real property, £3, 285. Pop.in 1851, 1, 271; in 1861, 1, 146. Houses, 263. The property is much subdivided. There are many tumuli. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Trinity, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £325.* Patron, Earl Cawdor. The old church stands near a Romancamp, where coins have been found; and a new church, in the early English style, was built in 1864.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penboyr has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Carmarthenshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penboyr and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penboyr in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penboyr".