Place:


Kirby Bellars  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirby Bellars like this:

KIRBY-BELLARS, a parish, with a pleasant village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on the river Wreak, and on the Syston and Peterborough railway, at Ashfordby r. station, 2¾ miles WSW of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2, 590. Real property, £5, 060. Pop., 243. ...


Houses, 52. The manor belongs to the Rev. E. Manners. Kirby Park was a hunting seat of Sir Francis Burdett, Bart.; and is now occupied by a farmer. A college, for a warden and twelve priests, was founded in the parish, by Roger Beller, in 1319; and was converted into an Augustinian priory, by Alice Beller, in 1359. Fossil bones of elephants and other animals were found in 1821. The parish is a meet for the Quorndon hounds. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £88. Patron, Sir Robert Burdett, Bart. The church is handsome; and has a tower, with lofty spire.

Kirby Bellars through time

Kirby Bellars is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirby Bellars itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirby Bellars, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10970

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirby Bellars ".