In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walmersley like this:
WALMERSLEY, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bury parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands near Summerseat r. station, 2¼ miles N of Bury; carries on manufactures similar to those of Bury; and has a post-office under Bury, Lancashire. The township includes Shuttleworth, 2½ miles to the N; and bears the name of W.-cum-Shuttleworth. Acres, 5,056. Real property, £20,417; of which £400 are in mines, £228 in quarries, and £163 in gasworks. ...
Pop. in 1851, 4,802; in 1861, 5,298. Houses, 1,003. The chapelry excludes Shuttleworth, and was constituted in 1843. Pop. in 1861, 3,269. Houses, 628. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £23.The sub-district excludes part of W. township, but includes small parts of three other townships. Pop. in 1 861, 5,062. Houses, 964.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Walmersley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Rossendale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Walmersley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walmersley, in Rossendale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Walmersley".