In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Teignmouth like this:
Teignmouth, market town, seaport, and watering-place, Devon, at mouth of river Teign, 15 miles S. of Exeter and 209 miles SW. of London by rail, 1238 ac., pop. 7120; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. The town consists of the two parishes of East Teignmouth (745 ac., pop. 2482) and West Teignmouth (493 ac., pop. 4638). East Teignmouth is the watering-place; West Teignmouth is the port and place of business. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The chief industries are shipbuilding and fishing. ...
Two of the principal objects of interest are the Den, a promenade formed from a sandbank between the town and the sea, and the wooden bridge, of 34 arches and 1672 ft. long, the longest wooden bridge in England, which connects Teignmouth with the village of Shaldon. Teignmouth furnished its quota of ships and men to the siege of Calais in 1347, and was thrice burnt by the French, twice about that time, and again in 1690.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Teignmouth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teignbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Teignmouth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teignmouth, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Teignmouth".