In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Middlewich like this:
Middlewich, town, par., and township, Cheshire, 5½ miles SE. of North wich and 166 NW. of London by rail - par., 13,110 ac., pop. 5205; township, 37 ac., pop. 1325; town, 238 ac., pop. 3379; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Middlewich was held by the Earl of Mercia under Edward the Confessor. The town has an antique appearance. The trade is chiefly in salt, obtained from brine springs in the neighbourhood; there are small silk and fustian factories, and considerable quantities of fruit and vegetables are raised in the vicinity for the Liverpool and Manchester markets.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Middlewich has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Congleton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Middlewich and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middlewich, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Middlewich".