In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huntley like this:
HUNTLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands near the boundary with Hereford, 2 miles NE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 4 S of Newent; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1, 409 acres. Real property, £2, 520. Pop., 533. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. * Patron, the Rev. D. Capper. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1863; is in the decorated English style; comprises nave, chancel, N aisle, organ recess, and vestry; has had a spire added to the tower, and a brooch spire to the stair turret; is richly fitted, in the interior. ...
with sculptures, medallions, coloured marbles, and alabaster; and has a pulpit of marble and alabaster, and a font of marble and carved stone. There are a national school, and charities £28.The sub-district contains also five other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 19, 223. Pop., 5, 715. Houses, 1, 161.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Huntley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Forest of Dean. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Huntley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntley, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Huntley".