In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Maughans like this:
MAUGHANS (ST.), a parish in the district and county of Monmouth; near the river Monnow at the boundary with Hereford, 4½ miles NW, of Monmouth r-station. Post town, Monmouth. Acres, 1,304. Real property, £1,434. Pop., 191. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Maughans has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Maughans and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Maughans in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Maughans".