In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skenfrith like this:
SKENFRETH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Monmouth. The village stands on the river Monnow, 6½ miles NW by N of Monmouth r. station; and has a post-office under Monmouth.The parish comprises 4,720 acres, and is in Monmouth district. Real property, £4,136. Pop, 666. Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. S. Castle dates from very early times; had the form of a trapezium; comprised circular keep, towers, and encompassing wall; and is now a fragmentary ruin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £215.* Patron, G. Speke, Esq. The church is ancient but good.-The hundred contains ten parishes, and two parts; and is cut into two divisions, higher and lower. Acres, 20,068 and 12,938. Pop. in 1851, 2,249 and 1,400; in 1861, 3,910. Houses, 807.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Skenfrith has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Skenfrith and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skenfrith in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Skenfrith".