In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Christchurch like this:
Christhurch, parl. bor., seaport, and par., S. Hants, at confluence of rivers Avon and Stour, 1½ mile from the sea, 34 miles SW. of Southampton, and 113 miles SW. of London -- par., 21,264 ac. and 690 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 12,989; bor., 22,350 ac., pop. 28,535; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday; was in Saxon times known as Tweonaeteam, a name which continued until recently in the form of Christchurch Twineham. The industries of C. are unimportant -- hosiery, chains for clocks and watches, and some salmon fishing. It has a free grammar-school, a commodious military barracks, and a priory church, one of the best specimens of its kind, built in the 12th century, and restored in 1861. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Christchurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Christchurch. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Christchurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Christchurch in Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Christchurch".