In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sefton like this:
SEPHTON, or Sefton, a township and a parish in West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on.the river Alt, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2 miles W of Mughall r. station, and 6½ N of Liverpool; has a post-office under Liverpool; and gives the title of Earl to the family of Molyneux. Acres, 1, 233. Real property, £3, 491. Pop., 430. Houses, 73. The manor was given, at the Norman conquest, to William de Moline or Molyneux; and, with Croxteth Park, belongs now to the Earl of Sephton. ...
The Liverpool race-course is here; and has a grand stand of 1830, lofty, spacious, and commanding an extensive view. The parish contains also the townships of Lunt, Netherton, Aintree, Orelland Ford, Litherland, Thornton, Ince-Blundell, and Little Crosby, and the chapelry of Great Crosby; and extends to the sea. Acres, 21, 168; of which 8, 675 are water. Pop. in 1851, 7, 278; in 1861, 10, 159. Houses, 1, 730. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1, 825.* Patron, the Marquis de Rothwell. The church is of the time of Henry VIII., and has a tower and spire. The p. curacies of Seaforth, Aintree, Litherland, Waterloo-Christchurch, Waterloo, St. John, and Great Crosby are separate benefices. There are a national school, and charities £116.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sefton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sefton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sefton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sefton in Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sefton".