In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halstead like this:
HALSTEAD, a township in Tilton parish, Leicestershire; 11 miles E of Leicester. Acres, 1, 432. Real property, £, 231. Pop., 211. Houses, 43. Halstead House is the seat of the Chesters. There are petrifying springs, and a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Halstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Harborough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Halstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halstead, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Halstead".