In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gopsall like this:
GOPSALL, an extra-parochial tract in Market-Bosworth district, Leicester; near the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4½ miles NW of Market-Bosworth. Acres, 600. Real property, £1, 007. Pop., 63. Houses, 13. It had a cell to Merevale abbey; and it is a meet for the Ather-stone hounds. Gopsall Hall is the seat of Earl Howe; was built by Jennins, the friend of Handel; has a beautiful chapel, 36 feet by 24; contains some interesting portraits and paintings; and stands amid fine grounds, which have a temple, with a statue by Roubiliac.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gopsall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hinckley and Bosworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gopsall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gopsall, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gopsall".