In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hanham like this:
HANHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The hamlet lies on the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1 mile NW of Keynsham r. station, and 5 ESE of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. The chapelry was reconstituted, with altered limits, in 1844. Acres, within the original limits, 1, 212Real property, £3, 706; of which £127 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 224. Houses, 255. Rated property within the new limits, £3, 229. Pop., 1, 271. Houses, 267. The property is subdivided. The quarries are numerous; and what they furnish is paving stone for Bath and Bristol. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Christchurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131.* Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. There are two churches-Hanham-Abbotts and Christchurch-and a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hanham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Gloucestershire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hanham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hanham in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hanham".