In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penterry like this:
PENTERRY, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; near the river Wye, 3½ miles N by W of Chepstow r. station. Post-town, Chepstow. Acres, 479. Real property, £533. Pop., 28. Houses, 9. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £65. Patrons, the Chapter of Llandaff. The church is not good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penterry has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penterry and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penterry in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penterry".