In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mounton like this:
MOUNTON, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; on Poolmerick brook, 1¾ mile WSW of Chepstow r. station. Post town, Chepstow. Acres, 407. Real property, £1,114. Pop., 90. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £87. Patron,Morgan, Esq. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mounton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mounton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mounton in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mounton".