In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garendon like this:
GARENDON, an extra-parochial tract in Loughborough district, Leicester; 2 miles W of Loughborough. Acres, 1, 270. Real property, £3, 003. Pop., 38. Houses, 10. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1133, by Robert de Bossu, Earl of Leicester; was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Rutland; and passed to the family of Phillipps. Garendon House, the seat of the Phillippses, now occupies its site.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Garendon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Charnwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Garendon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garendon, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Garendon".