In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baglan like this:
BAGLAN, a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan; on the E side of the mouth of Neath river, and on the South Wales railway, 1¼ mile S by W of Briton Ferry r. station, and 3¼ S of Neath. It comprises the hamlets of Lower Baglan and Upper Baglan; and its Post Town is Briton Ferry, under Neath. Acres, 6,479; of which 1,240 are water. Real property, £3,471; of which £550 are in mines. Pop. of Lower Baglan, 456. Houses, 92. Pop. of Higher Baglan, 259. Houses, 28. The scenery possesses much beauty and some romance; and the higher grounds command very brilliant views. ...
Earl Jersey's park spreads away, in extensive woods, over several bold hills; and Baglan House, the mansion in it, though without attraction as a building, possesses interest as once the resort of Mason, who wrote here his elegy:
Coventry is dead! attend the strain,
Daughters of Albion.
Coal and fire-clay are worked. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Aberavon, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is very picturesquely situated; and there is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Baglan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Neath Port Talbot. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Baglan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baglan, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Baglan".