In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Orrell like this:
ORRELL and FORD, a township in Sefton parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4½ miles N of Liverpool. Acres, 728. Real property, £2, 753. Pop. in 1851, 279; in 1861, 358. Houses, 57. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of trade in Liverpool. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Sefton. Ford Lodge and Hatton Hall are chief residences.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Orrell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sefton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Orrell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Orrell, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Orrell".