In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenny Drayton like this:
DRAYTON (Fenny), a parish in the district of Atherstone, and county of Leicester; adjacent to Watling-street, the river Anker, and the boundary with Warwick, 2½ miles W of Atherstone r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Hinckley. Post town, Atherstone. Acres, 1, 280. Real property, £2, 215. Pop., 134. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £278.* Patron, the Rev. J. E. Colyer. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. The ancestors of Drayton the poet were residents.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fenny Drayton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Hinckley and Bosworth. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fenny Drayton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenny Drayton, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fenny Drayton".