In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coston like this:
COSTON, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 3¾ miles NE of Saxby r. station, and 7 ENE of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 1, 745. Real property, £2, 556. Pop., 179. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. Coston House is the seat of the Phelps. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £334.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is neat, and was recently restored.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coston, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coston".