Place:


Chingford  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chingford like this:

CHINGFORD, a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands on the verge of the county adjacent to Epping forest and the river Lea, 2 miles NE of Water-Lane Junction r. station, and 9½ NNE of St. Paul's, London; and has a post office under Woodford, London, NE. The parish comprises 2, 766 acres. ...


Real property, £7, 270. Pop., 1, 174. Houses, 236. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to St. Paul s, London. Chingford Hall is the seat of the Merringtons. The living is a rectory in the dio. of London. Value, £538.* Patron, R. B. Heath-cote, Esq. The old church is a low ancient ivy-clad edifice; and the new one was built in 1845.

Chingford through time

Chingford is now part of Waltham Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waltham Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chingford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chingford, in Waltham Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1066

Date accessed: 22nd October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chingford ".