In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maghull like this:
MAGHULL, a township-chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Liverpool and Ormskirk railway, 5 miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a station on the railway, and a postoffice‡ under Liverpool. Acres, 2,073. Real property, £8,439. Pop., 1,144. Houses, 196. The property is much subdivided. Maghull Hall is the seat of B. French, Esq.; Manor House, of H. M'Elroy, Esq.; and Moss-Side House, of T. Harrison, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £155.* Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church is a good plain edifice, of varions dates. There are a national school, and charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Maghull has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sefton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Maghull and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maghull, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Maghull".