In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowton like this:
LOWTON, a village and a parish in Leigh district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile E by N of Golborne r. station, and 3¾ SW by W of Leigh; and has a post office under Newton-le-Willows. The parish includes the chapelry of Lowton-St. Mary, and comprises 1,824 acres. Real property, £6,148. Pop. in 1851,2,140; in 1861,2,384. Houses, 492. The property is much subdivided. Lowton Hall and Byrom Hall are ancient mansions, now used as farm-houses. There is a cotton mill. The head-living is a rectory, and that of St. ...
Mary is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of the rectory, £250; * of the vicarage, £127. * Patron of the former, the Earl of Derby; of the latter, Miss M. Leigh. The parish church is an old building of brick and stone. St. Mary's church was erected in 1861; is a stone structure, in the early English style; and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and belfry. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lowton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wigan. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lowton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowton, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lowton".