In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braunstone like this:
BRAUNSTONE, a chapelry in Glenfield parish, Leicestershire: on the river Wreak and the Union canal, adjacent to the Midland and Swannington railways, 2½ miles SW of Leicester. Post Town, Leicester. Acre. 1,610. Real property, £4,018. Pop., 197. House., 37. Braunstone Frith extra-parochial liberty adjoins on the NE; is included in the returns; and contains Braunstone Hall, formerly belonging to the Hastings family, and now the seat ofWinstanley, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Glenfield, in the diocese of Peterborough.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Braunstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Blaby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Braunstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braunstone, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Braunstone".