In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longton like this:
LONGTON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Preston district, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the head of the Ribble's estuary, 3½ miles W of Preston-Junction r. station, and 5 SW of Preston; is about 2 miles long; and has a post office under Preston.The chapelry comprises 3,132 acres of land, and 560 of water; and is in Penwortham parish. Real property, £6,784. Pop., 1,637. Houses, 310. The property is much subdivided. Malting is largely carried on; and there are two breweries. ...
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £190. Patron, L. Rawstorne, Esq. The church was built in 1770, and is a good brick structure. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a free grammar school, and charities £29.The sub-district comprises the parishes of Penwortham and Hoole. Acres, 14,240. Pop., 6,620. Houses, 1,204.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Ribble. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longton, in South Ribble and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longton".