In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Branston like this:
BRANSTON, Branstone, or Braunston, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 7 miles N of Frisby r. station, and 8 NNE of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Grantham. Acres, 960. Real property, £2,662. Pop., 297. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £350.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Branston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Branston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Branston, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Branston".