Place:


Livesey  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Livesey like this:

LIVESEY, a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Darwen, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, at Cherry-Tree r. station, and 2½ miles SW of Blackburn Acres, 1,890. Real property, £12,145. Pop. in 1851, 2,649; in 1861,3,581. Houses, 674. ...


The increase of pop. arose from addition to the number of cotton mills, which are extensive. Livesey Hall, and the greater portion of the land, belonged formerly to the Livesey family, now extinct; and it passed by sale, in 1802, to the family of Feilden. The Leeds and Liverpool canal here crosses the river Darwen by a fine one-arched aqueduct. The township is nearly co-extensive with the chapelry of Feniscowles; the church of which was built in 1836, is partly in the pointed style and partly in the Tudor, and has a tower and spire. A national school, at Waterloo, is used as a chapel of ease. An Independent chapel at Mill-Hill is a recent and handsome erection; and contains about 1,000 sittings. The previous chapel is now used as a school-house. A mechanics' institute was established in 1853.

Livesey through time

Livesey is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Livesey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Livesey, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10640

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Livesey ".