In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bottesford like this:
BOTTESFORD, or Botsworth, a village and a parish in the district of Grantham and county of Leicester. The village stands in the vale of Belvoir. near the Grantham canal and the Nottingham and Grantham railway, 7 miles WNW of Grantham; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Nottingham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Easthorpe and Normanton. Acres, 5,010. Real property, £9,386. Pop., 1,415. Houses, 317. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given at the Conquest to R. ...
de Todeni, and belongs now to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £993.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is large, cruciform, and very good, with a tower at the west end; and contains monuments to many of the Earls and Dukes of Rutland. There are four dissenting chapels, two endowed hospitals for poor men and poor widows, with £479 and £133 a year, and a school with £36.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bottesford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Melton. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bottesford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bottesford, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bottesford".