In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastington like this:
EASTINGTON, a tything and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The tything lies on the Stroudwater canal, near the Bristol and Gloucester and the Gloucester and Hereford Junction railways, 1½ mile W of Stonehouse r. station, and 4½ W of Stroud; has a post office‡ under Stonehouse; and contains the work-house of Wheatenhurst. Pop., 712. Houses, 137. The parish includes also the tything of Alkerton. Acres, 2, 042. Real property, £6, 852. Pop., 1, 717. Houses, 372. ...
The property is much subdivided. Eastington House is a principal residence. A considerable woollen manufacture has been carried on, but has recently declined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £551.* Patron, the Rev. T. Peters. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and has a brass of 1518, and a Norman font. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £19 from endowment; and other charities have £11.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eastington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stroud. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eastington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastington, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eastington".