In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birstall like this:
BIRSTALL, or Burstall, a chapelry in Belgrave parish, Leicestershire; on the river Soar, 2 miles NW of Sileby r. station, and 3¼ N by E of Leicester. Post town, Belgrave, under Leicester. Acres, 1,260. Real property, £3,862. Pop., 405. Houses, £95. The property is divided among a few. Birstall House is the seat of the Worswicks. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Belgrave, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is modern. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Birstall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Charnwood. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Birstall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birstall, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Birstall".