In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scunthorpe like this:
SCUNTHORPE, a township, with a village, in Frodingham parish, Lincoln; 7½ miles N W by W of Glanford-Brigg. It has a post-office under Brigg, extensive iron-works, and a Wesleyan chapel. Acres, 998. Pop., 278. Houses, 50. The manor belongs to Winn, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Scunthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Lincolnshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Scunthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scunthorpe".