In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Inskip like this:
INSKIP, a township and a chapelry in St. Michaelon-Wyre parish, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Inskip-with-Sowerby; lies 4 miles WSW of Brock r. station, and 9 NW of Preston; and has a postal letter box under Preston. Acres, 2, 888. Real property, £3, 748. Pop., 663. Houses, 129. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby.The chapelry is larger than the township, and was constituted in 1850. Pop., 780. Houses, 158. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £105. * Patron, the Vicar of St. Michael-on-Wyre. The church is a neat edifice, of nave and chancel, with a belfry. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and some small charities.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Inskip has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wyre. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Inskip and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Inskip, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Inskip".